Tuesday, February 20, 2018

The Chicago Transit Authority

              

I was first exposed to Chicago's music when I was back in high school, and my dad bought two "best of" collections. I was instantly hooked on their music, and in recent time I've been seeking to listen to all their older albums, starting with their debut one with their original name, changed due to lawsuits from the actual Chicago Transit Authority.

The opening song, "Introduction," effectively demonstrates the band's early jazzy rocky style, and then goes to one of their first singles spawned by the album, "Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?" Their next two singles, "Beginnings," a passionate love ballad, and "Questions 67 and 68," follow, with the latter having a somewhat non-indicative title.

Most of the rest of the album is good, aside from "Free Form Guitar," which is really cacophonous, including the band's take on the Spencer Davis Group's "I'm a Man." Overall, this was definitely an enjoyable debut album at the time of its release, and I'm definitely glad I had the opportunity to listen to it online, lest I missed out on some really jazzy and rocky tracks.

No comments:

Post a Comment